Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

WOW! Simone Elkeles has done it once again. This book was actually, made in 2007 but I’m just now reading it and like I said Simone Elekles has done it AGAIN!! This lady has a serious gift from the angels. She has once again pulled you in from the beginning.
This is the cover of the book I read.

This cover looks better
 
Our characters this time are Caleb and Maggie. Once again the story is told in both of their points of view.
 
We start our story with Caleb. Caleb is going to a meeting for his “Get out of jail free card.” Yep, the story starts at the end of a story, only to start a new one. His life is balancing on whether or not these people-judges- believe him or not. (You’re probably wondering what they need to believe Caleb on… I’d tell you but it like a MAJOR MAJOR detail in the story. It would be rude on my part if I told you what happened- and didn’t happen). 
 
Then we meet Maggie while she is in her physical therapy meeting. The thing is, she messed up her leg. Actually, she was ran over by a car driven by … Caleb. Okay, close your mouth, you know Caleb and Maggie had to connect somehow.
 
Then, for their senior year Caleb and Maggie meet again. Caleb’s out of jail and Maggie is going back to school. Then fate puts them in the same room. Literally. Then fate starts playing a serious game of puppets, pulling Caleb and Maggie’s strings for enjoyment.Not that I'm complaining or anything, I just think the fact should be mentioned.

Now I don't usually do this, but the back cover of this book was just.....

 What happens when
The person who damaged
You for life...
Becomes the person you
Trust the most?
 
If that doesn't give you any hints I really don't know what will. Elkeke, steps away from gangs but is still into troubled teens. Then again, troubled teens make for interesting books, movies, and life. And AWARD WINNING ONES- just saying ;D
 
This story was strange in a good way. It started off one way; then too-many-things-to-report happened in the middle, and the end was just like "WHOA!!! that did not just happen!"
SERIOUSLY!!! I mean, COME and ON, but in some ways it was just what the book needed- a SERIOUSLY DRAMATIC ENDING.
 
At first, I didn't think I was going to like this book, but this one of those times I'm glad I was wrong.(And I'm not usually nor do I like being wrong)
 
 
Now the part I love like the next normal human being quotes
 
The Following quotes are found in Maggie's POV
 
All I know is that I have more nails and plastic inside me than the average tool box.
 
She nods her head, let's out a long breath, then leans back in the booth. "I see. Well, dearie, maybe one day your luck will change."
Yeah, right. All I need is a little magic dust and a fairy godmother. I'm not holding my breath for either of those.
 
"I went to jail for hitting Maggie with my car while I was drunk," Caleb says, reappearing in the doorway.
Mrs. Reynolds makes tsking noises, then says, "My, my, we are in a pickle aren't we?"
 
(I <3 Mrs. Reynolds... this old lady is just awesome!)
 
The following quote is found in Caleb's POV and is the <3 MOMENT
 
"Are you following me?" she asks, but doesn't meet my gaze
"Yeah," I say
"Why?"
"Honestly?"
She looks at me, her eyebrows raised.
I give her the only honest and true answer I have. "You're where I want to be."
 
 
That is truly a heart moment... Caleb is so awesome and Maggie is so strong. These two together makes for a whole lot of GREAT BOOK. Don't believe me- fine I'm not hurt *WEEP* ;D - read it for yourself. Oh, and when I turn out right... DON'T doubt me AGAIN!!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment