Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Playing Patience by Tabatha Vargo

 

“You can hide in there all you want, but I can still see you.” ,,

I didn’t say anything as she scooted back over to the car door, popped it open, and then jumped out to jog home.

It wasn’t until I was almost home that I realized she was right. I hid myself a lot, but only because I was secretly afraid to get close to anyone. Getting close to people was dangerous. People died and the ones that didn’t die hurt you.

 

Wow, this book was just wow. It’s a story about a girl hiding what’s going on in her house and a boy from the wrong side of the tracks. A true love story that makes everyone want to cry and cheer at the same time. The story of Patience and Zeke and how they fell in  love.

Characters

ZEKE

Zeke is the held-back-for-a-year-bad- boy all your fathers warn you about. The guy that has a new girl like every night. Who plays the guitar and shows everybody only one side of him until you dig deeper and find the rest. The type that doesn’t think he'll ever find love. You know the type. He’s the boy all readers swoon over. Zeke fits the bill of a loveable bad boy with a troubling past and present. Zeke’s caring,tuff,sexy, and completely swoon worthy. If there is one thing Zeke doesn’t do, its chase. He’s a rock star for Christ's sake he doesn’t need to chase. But when he meets Patience he starts to play tug-o-war with his old-self and the self he’ becoming because of Patience

Zeke revealing a little of himself in Patience’s POV

“Do you like playing that song?” I asked casually as I handed him the guitar.

He picked at the strings a bit and then shrugged. “Not really.”

“Then why were you?” I adjusted my tank top and sat back in my chair.

He played a little tune and shot me with another sexy grin.

“It reminds me of you.”

 

PATIENCE

Patience aka Snowflake- a nickname given to her from Zeke- is the girl everyone thinks has the perfect life. Little does anyone know what she’s hiding in her house. No one knows what she has to put up with. Her family and friends don’t know why she always stays out or why she doesn’t date. Even though she has been told she has a “Hot Bod”. Until she meets Zeke she has never really wanted anyone. Especially not someone that made her hot and flustered by the simplest touch, or the slight sneak of a smile. She never liked the touch of a male but Zeke, well lets just say “the rules are changing”. Let’s talk about her family. Patience lives with her dying-of-breast-cancer-mom, her little sister, and her dad. Let’s not forget her BF Megan.

A quote of Megan and Patience talking

“I’ve missed you, chick. Anything new going on? How’s the voluntary community service going?” She laughed.

I immediately thought of Zeke and how glad I was that I’d decided to volunteer. I couldn’t deny the fact that I was starting to like him. Nothing could ever come from it because I was a total mental head case, but still, it was nice to think I was capable of liking a guy. It gave me a tiny spark of hope and I wanted to latch on to that hope and water it and load it down with sunlight so it could grow.

“What is that look about?” she asked with wide eyes.

“What look?”

“Oh my God, don’t even try to play me! I’ve seen that look before, just never on you.” She giggled. “So, spill it, woman! Who’s the guy?”

I tried to school my face, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get the smile to go down. I tried to smooth the sides of my mouth down with my fingers, but still the goofy smile remained.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I looked out the window since I couldn’t keep a straight face.

“Oh come on, Pay. As women it’s our job to talk about boys. Tell me about him. Anyone I know?” She tapped her fingernails on the steering wheel.

“Okay, so you have to swear not to say anything.” I sighed.

Her eyes lit up at the prospect of some juicy gossip.

“I swear I won’t.” She turned into the school parking lot and barely missed another car. They blew their horn at us and Megan flipped them off.

After I unlatched my hand from the dash, I ran my fingers through my hair and took a deep breath. This was the first time I’d ever confessed being in like with someone.

“So, you know I’ve spent the last few days at the Boy’s Club with Zeke,” I started.

“Oh my God, did you and Zeke make pre-babies?” Her eyes were so big I was afraid they were going to pop out of her head.

“Did me and Zeke what?” I’d never heard anything of the sort.

“You know! Did you guys bump uglies? As in, did you have sex?” She was motioning with her hands for me to hurry up and tell her.

“God, no! Geez, Megan. What I was going to say, before I was so rudely interrupted, is he’s been taking me home afterward and I don’t know… I guess I kind of like him.” My face felt like it was about to combust.

“Well, of course you like him, Pay. He’s hotter than hell. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that he’s amazing with a guitar, which has to mean he’s good with his fingers, but you know me. I have a thing for tattoos and rock stars. I didn’t think you did, though. I’ve never even heard you say a guy was cute before. Honestly, I was starting to think you were into girls.” She shrugged.

“I am not into girls.”

“Hey, no hate over here. You know I don’t care about shit like that.” She held up her hands palms out. “But I just figured…”

“Yeah, well, you figured wrong.” I jumped out of the car and started toward the school. Within seconds, Megan was right beside me.

“So, Zeke, like, talks to you? Because Chet says he’s not much of a talker.”

I laughed thinking about all the stuff that came out of his mouth.

“Yeah, he talks some. He’d never admit it, but he’s not a bad guy.”

“Tell that to all the girls he’s left behind. Although, it’s not like they didn’t know any better. Chet says Zeke is pretty upfront about only wanting one-night stands.” She waved at some guy as we walked by.

“Yeah, that sounds about right. I don’t know. We’ve only talked a little. I’m not, like, in love with him or anything. I was just saying I like him.” I instantly started to worry that Megan would tell Chet and then Chet would tell Zeke.

Oh my God, he’d never let me live that one down. This whole talking about boys thing was new for me and I didn’t know if I could trust Megan to keep her trap shut.

“Listen, Megan, please don’t say anything to Chet, okay?”

“Cross my heart, hope to die!” she shouted across the hallway to me.

 

Patience and Zeke start off with attraction. The annoying attraction in which you can’t get someone out of your head. Then they start hanging out and the next thing you knew, they are both fascinated by each others smell. For Patience it was Zeke shirt and for Zeke it was the smell of Patience on his pillow and in his motel room’s bathroom. Love is a funny thing, it can make you incredibly strong or when it’s taken away unbelievably broken.

Zeke and Patience flirting yet revealing something deeper

“You want to know what I am? I’m shattered, that’s what I am. There are tiny pieces of Patience scattered all over.”

“I’d like a piece of Patience.” He reached across the table and ran a finger across my hand.

This time I did tense up, but for entirely different reasons. My heartbeat sped up like I was on the verge of a panic attack, but instead, a rush of euphoria filled me.

“I don’t know if I can give you a piece.” I heard myself flirt back.

This earned me another sexy grin. Damn him for being so freaking sexy.

“Why not?

“Because I don’t know where they are.” I felt myself frown at those words.

What started out as innocent flirting had just that quickly become a sad truth. I was a shattered girl and I had no idea where my pieces were or how to put myself back together if I did find them.

“I bet I could find your pieces.” He leaned in and bathed my cheek with heated breath.

I didn’t miss his hidden meaning, but I chose to ignore it. “Good luck. I’ve been trying to find them for years.”

I shrugged off my shiver and started to deal the cards again.

“Challenge accepted,” he said as he leaned back in his chair and took a swig from his beer.

“I didn’t issue any challenge. I was just making a statement.” I swallowed hard.

“Yes, you did. You just begged me to find you. Consider it done.”

Writing

The story travels between both POV’s of Patience and Zeke. When switching to opposite POV’s sometimes we will get flashbacks to see what the other person thought about what happened.

m,

 

Overall I thought the story was beyond words AMAZING. If you liked Leaving Paradise, Return to Paradise, Chain Reaction, Perfect Chemistry, and You Against Me then you’ll love this. (Click title for review).

Come join the story of Patience, Zeke, and their family and friends are Patience and Zeke fall in love- slowly I might add.

TaTa

No comments:

Post a Comment